Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Exploring Copenhagen June 3, 2015

Well, went to bed about 1 a.m. last night.  I was wide awake at 3 a.m. and wasn't able to go back to sleep until about 5 a.m.  Elaine was up by 6:30 a.m.  She mentioned at 8:30 a.m. that it was time to go get breakfast so I got up and started getting ready for the day.  Looked outside.  It is a beautiful day in Copenhagen!  Am enjoying the view from our room this morning.


By the way---there are mosquitos here.  I got four bites last night and we weren't even out on the street very long walking back to the hotel.  You might want to consider insect repellant if you are out in the evenings walking around.
I still have a lingering cold and cough, so have made the call out on our Facebook group and Silvia was so gracious to go get me some and will have it here on Friday!  There is hope on the horizon!  I will be on the lookout today for a pharmacy to see what I can find.

Elaine and I decide we are taking a walking tour of Copenhagen today with our goal of making it to The Disney Store.

The weather is unpredictable.  I have taken my rainjacket/windbreaker.  It will be sunny, so you get warm, but then it is so breezy, the wind is cold, and then the sun goes behind the clouds and then it starts raining.  So you can go from cold to warm really quick here, so let me empasize, layered clothing is the way to go and bring good walking shoes.  (Although I did see some brave ladies wearing their stilleto's today and riding their bicycles.)  There are bikes everywhere.  Be sure you don't walk in the bike paths which are a normal part of every road or you will get run over.

We get some nice views of buildings as we walk to the main part of Copenhagen.






We come across a Lego Store and I immediately check out the place for my friend Ken who loves building legos.  They have some challenging lego kits here.  Lots of Star Wars stuff.





Some fruit and vegetable stands are out on the streets, but not an awful lot of them.  They have some delicious looking cherries and beautiful roses.




See some waffles and some ice cream, but it is just too cold to even think about eating ice cream here today.




We stop at The Body Shop, one of my favorites.  They have a limited edition Virgin Mojito Body Scrub.  Bought some for myself and a gift for a friend on the ship and bought some body gel for Jamie.  Also got a free Strawberry Body Gel!  Score!


Next, it is off to The Disney Store.  It is a small store.  Not alot of Copenhagen merchandise.  No Copenhagen pins.  I get a Copenhagen Disney Mug, a gift for Silvia (my theraflu savior), and a Star Wars R2D2 flash drive for a friend back home.  They have Star Wars flash drives in different characters including Darth Vader, R2D2, Storm Trooper and others, but to be honest I am not a real Star Wars fan, so couldn't give you specifics.  They had a large section of Star Wars merchandise, but I didn't take a close look.  Here's some pictures of the store here:





 They had a cute Olaf Mug.  Debated about getting one, but purchased the Copenhagen Disney one instead.  Plus I was worried about his carrot nose breaking before I got back to the United States.


On our way to find a lunch spot, I spotted a bar and immediately thought of my friends Scott and Bob and had to take this picture of a place I thought they would enjoy.  Not sure if they play Jimmy Buffett music here, but if you are drunk, who cares?


After that we headed saw a Hard Rock Cafe and decided to have lunch.  I had a club sandwich with avocado added and onion rings.  It was about 140 dkk











Got directions to the local pharmacy to see if I could find some cold medicine.  The pharmacist sold me three things.  I have written in english what I can take and how many times per day I can take it, but to be honest, not sure what I am trying out here.  The cough drops taste pretty good.  Their liquid "Theraflu" or version thereof is a hot berry drink.  I can tell you it is like drinking hot Robittuson Cough Syrup, except with hot water and it took all I could do to even drink half of it.  Here are my drugs of choice:


Then walked by Tivoli (we will be going here tomorrow with our Adventures by Disney group).  They have a Build a Bear Workshop there.  They have an Olaf and Elaine purchased a minion named "Bob" (picture later in blog)





It is getting close to 4 pm so we decide we better head back towards the hotel.  Came across Andersen's Bakery and they had some pretty yummy looking items.  I purchased a Lemon Meringue Tart.  It was delicious!



The skies are looking pretty dark again and while we are walking back to the hotel, it starts raining and since it is so windy, the rain is coming down sideways and it is just enough to get us wet.....but in five minutes it is over and the sun is starting to peak through the clouds again.

We get back to the hotel and need to get ready for our reception and dinner with Adventures by Disney (from now on I will abbreviate ABD)  Now I know yesterday I mentioned that me and European showers do not get along.  Well today, I go to get in the shower and our housekeeper had turned the shower head, so when I turned on the water and since the shower door is only about 18 inches long and I had it opened, I proceeded to drench myself with cold water and flood the bathroom floor.  Elaine called housekeeping for four more towels so I could do clean up duty.  My goal is to have one European shower without incident....LOL

We meet our  ABD guides, Robyn and Amber and we go to the rooftop of the hotel where they have a sushi bar and we have appetizers (I had bacon wrapped asparagus and chicken meatballs, which were both excellent).  We have beautiful views of the city.  There are 22 in our ABD group tonight.  Don't know if we will have anyone join us tomorrow that didn't make it.







Got a picture of Elaine's new minion friend Bob with Olaf.  They will be travelling together this trip.

Had a nice dinner and met really nice fellow ABD'ers.  Sat and visited with Ron and Janie.  They are from Winter Garden (just about 10 miles from Magic Kingdom).  This is her second ABD and Ron's first.  Very nice visiting with them and sharing stories.  Dinner was buffet and very good.  ABD gave us a lanyard and 2 pins tonight.  We also got a duffel bag and a Little Mermaid Bronze statue.  Haven't taken pictures of them yet and I am typing from my bed, so I am not going to get pictures tonight.  Will try to remember to do that tomorrow.











This is what it looks like outside our room at 10 pm at night


It is now 10:15 p.m. and I've got a few things to wrap up.  We are going to be meeting for our ABD in the morning at 9:15 a.m.  We can go to breakfast anytime after 6:30 a.m.  We are doing a walking tour of Copenhagen tomorrow, then to lunch, then to the Viking Ship Museum and then to Tivoli for rides in the amusement park and to see where Walt Disney got his ideas of what Disneyland might be.  They have over 35 restaurants in the park and we are on our own for dinner tomorrow night, so will see how adventurous we will be.



Goodnight from Copenhagen!




1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the shower incident - you'll get it right one of these times. Next time make sure you look up first (LOL). Sounds like a great day and tomorrow should be good too. Hope you sleep better tonight. Can'it wait to hear about tomorrow's adventures.

    ReplyDelete