Friday, June 12, 2015

Geiranger Norway June 10 2015

Geiranger is a small tourist village located in western Norway at the headwaters of Geirangerfjord, which they says is the real jewel of the Norwegian Fjords.


This location is included on the UNESCO’s list of World Heritage sites.  The fjord is 9 miles long and more than 800 feet deep.  The Geirangerfjord is one of he longest, deepest and most narrow fjords in the world.  

I didn’t want to get up at 5 a.m. to see the awe-inspiring waterfalls, including the spectacular Seven Sisters, the Suitor and the Bridal Veil, so I will wait until 5 p.m. tonight when we sail out to see them.  (kinda like seeing the backside of water on the Jungle Cruise).  Many of us felt we could see them going out, I mean it was light outside either way.

Geiranger was isolated in the 1800’s.  In order to get to Geiranger people either had to take a packhorse or make their way on foot over the mountain.  The fjord was particularly long if you traveled by rowboat.  The farms were very challenging on the ledges in Geiranger.

Only 250 residents live here year round.  During the summer when the cruise ships arrive the town blossoms to 800 residents.  Living here you would be totally separated from the world unless you had a cell phone, internet and satellite tv.

This morning, I take it easy, as I am headed out on a bike ride this afternoon.  Don’t know what I was thinking when I booked it.  (Actually, I didn’t think it would be this cold, that’s for sure.)  It is misty outside.

So here is the description of my port adventure today:  Sky to Fjord Bike Adventure.  Narrated travel to the Djupvasshytta Lodge (45 minutes) to meet your bike guide, get fitted for your bike and and put on your safety equipment.  Hop on your bike and start a journey down the mountain, utilizing the public road to travel down to Geiranger with photo stops along the way (approximately 2 hours).  Bike, helmet, gloves, safety vest and map are required and provided.  Previous cycling experience required.

So here is the real description of my port adventure today:  Sky to Fjord Bike Adventure in the Rain, Sleet and Snow.  Narrated travel to the Djupvasshytta Lodge in the rain, snow and sleet while you ride through hairpin turns on a one lane vehicle road.  Snow will be on either side of the road 6-8 feet high.  The mountain road has just recently opened, as it has been closed for the winter with snow.  Depart from your bus as the wind, snow and ice are blowing so hard you can’t see.  


It looks like we are going snowmobiling, not bicycle riding!





As you start to make your way down the mountain with 39 of your new friends who are wondering what the heck they were thinking too, you make it to the first stop.  Hands are so frozen through the gloves provided.  Luckily I have brought my fleece gloves and take off the wet gloves and put on the new dry fleece gloves I have in my backpack and that does the trick.  Oh, my jeans are totally saturated in water right now, however my shoes and socks seem to be okay.  Additionally, I have a t-shirt, a Norwegian sweater and a rainjacket on.  My top half seems to be pretty dry also. 
After our first photo stop, we continue down the mountain, my mind just keeps telling me “go as fast as you can”.  The lower the elevation, the warmer it will get.  HAHAHAHA……..


We stop for our second photo stop.  The views are absolutely beautiful.  I think I biked half a marathon.  Thought about Ken on my way down and his long bike adventures he goes on and the thought that crossed my mind  “he really enjoys doing this?”



Anyway, we continue with another stop.  At least the closer we get to the bottom it turns from that pelting ice to rain.  Rain is marvelous.  I have never enjoyed rain so much.


As we get closer to town, we keep meeting those huge tour buses on the hairpin turns.  I was coming down one curve and if the bus thought I was going to be able to stop for him, he was wrong, I was on a mission, a mission to get down that darn mountain as quickly as possible.

We finally see the town of Geiranger and there is hope that we will make it down in one piece, without having to go to the ship’s doctor.  (I did purchase the Vacation Protection Plan just in case!).  Thankfully, I have no visible injuries to speak of.  

Ride into Geiranger and get myself off that bike.  Good riddance to that port adventure.

Oh, by the way, did I tell you I had the time of my life.  It was awesome!  Easy to say after the fact.  However, would I do it again?  Yes, in a heartbeat.

The best thing, right next door to where the bike shop is, there is a Chocolate Shop with homemade Hot Chocolate.  They have dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate hot chocolate.  It is yummy and warms me right up after the bike ride.  Here is a picture of the chocolate shop.


They also have homemade chocolates in the store.  They were very busy.

Then it is time to head back.  I stop for a moment and look in the souvenir shop and pull out my I Pad and use the free internet (10 minutes free, but they don’t monitor) at the visitor’s center before it is all aboard time for the ship.

We are going to have a beautiful voyage out of the fjord and Commodore Tom has said we all need to be up on deck.  It is packed up on deck 10 with everyone bundled up to stay warm.  We go by the Seven Sisters and the Suitor along with other beautiful waterfalls and scenery.











Tonight is the Magic of Light in the Walt Disney Theater.  I didn’t go as I was showering from my excursion and needed to warm up, but Michael went and say it was incredible and it moved him to tears.  Will have to make sure I see that on the next voyage.

We are in Palo for dinner tonight.  Andrea and I get a picture together.  Have known Andrea for so many years.  Love that girl!  We were supposed to go to Palo on Friday night, but don’t want to miss Drawn to Magic in Animator’s and the new Disney Dreams with the Frozen section added to the show.


After Palo, it is late and Elaine and I have a 7:45 a.m. excursion, so the worst thing to do is eat and go to bed, but that is exactly what we did.  Oh well, another day on the Magic is completed.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea looks great. Give her big hug for me please. Reminds me of our bike ride in Alaska but probably not so cold and the weather wasn't as wet. Sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog, Linda. "See ya real soon".

    ReplyDelete