Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Stavanger, Norway June 22 2015

Today we are in Stavanger for visit #2.  It is a beautiful morning.  The sun is shining and it feels warm outside.  This is gonna be the best day ever!

Stavanger is Norway's Petroleum Capital.

Today we are going on the Stavanger & Surroundings excursion.

This is my picture of my version of Pulpit Rock!  LOL



This is the church as we are driving through town.




Our tour guide, Donald, and the bus driver stop by a roadside stand and by us some Norwegian Strawberries.  They are very sweet and delicious.


We start by taking a scenic drive along the Dirdal River.





Troll marshmallows




We go the Byrkjedalstunet Resort and Hotel. This is an old creamery and behind the creamery is a huge mountain of granite.  They have made a restaurant inside the rock.  For those of my family and friends that live in Utah or have visited, this would be very similar to the Hole in the Rock in Moab, Utah.



Norwegian Pancake with strawberries and sour cream.  Although good, not as yummy as my waffles.


In the rock, they have one section with a grand piano where they do concerts.  I am sure the acoustics are incredibly good.


The sheep:



At the front of the restaurant they have a wonderful gift shop and they make their own candles.  Pricing was reasonable and they had so many types of candles, it was hard to choose what I wanted, but I got something for my bedroom.  Wish someone would have been making candles today though.

The gift shop is actually an old creamery where they made goat cheese (the brown type was one of the varieties that is suppose to be sweet).  If I remember right, the creamery was established in the early 1900's.


Of course you can't go anywhere without running into a troll.


We then head to the largest field of boulders in Norway - Gloppedalsuren.  This is where I get my lookalike photo for Pulpit Rock LOL.  It is the Magma Geo Park.  There is still mining that goes on today in this area.





My pulpit rock picture....HA



After we finished at the field of boulders we headed back into town where our tour guide Donald gave us a walking tour of Stavanger.








This cat has so much fur on him.  Can't imagine what his owner must have to do to brush him and the cat hairs in the house, oh my....


After our city tour, we have about 45 minutes I think before we have to be on the ship.  There are a couple of souvenir stores right by the ship.  Take a look at them but don't buy anything.

I have to say once again, the weather today has been the best since I arrived in Copenhagen on June 2nd.  Absolutely wonderful.  The sun shined for most of the day.

Sailaway is at 4:45 p.m.

We head to the Magic of Light Evolution in the Walt Disney Theater at 6:30 p.m.  This is a group from Rome who was on Italia's Got Talent.  They do a whimsical journey of light and movement.  It is really good.  The dancing is great.  Wish my daughter Jamie could have seen it.  Maybe the group will be here next year when she and her husband join me on the Norway Cruise.

Get a couple of pictures in the atrium:





It's time for dinner again!  Luis, our head server, brings us these wonderful chicken skewers he has made.  They are to die for.


Tonight I get to be Minnie.  Our servers decided to dress us up since they don't do character breakfast anymore.



After dinner we head off to Fathom's for Match Your Mate.  Funny as usual.

Then it is off to bed.  Alesund is tomorrow.






2 comments:

  1. Glad the sun is shining at last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the weather is getting better. You have some great pics. Mom

    ReplyDelete