Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Geiranger, Norway June 24 2015



What a difference two weeks makes (I think I have said that before).  It is still cold, but there is no bitter wind, which makes a world of difference.  Still have my jacket and sweater on, but much more bearable.


This morning I am headed on the Geiranger rib boat adventure through the fjords.  It is an hour long boat ride.  My time is 9:45 a.m. so it is still quite cool out, clouds are hanging in low and no sun yet.  But the great news is there is no rain or mist.

We head off to the rib boat office (which is right next door to the bicycle place which I rode bikes on two weeks ago).  They dress us up in what I would call snowmobile outfits to go on the boat ride through the fjords.  They are quite warm but once outside they are just perfect.  (wish I had one of these for my bike ride).  We have 2 boats and there are 12 people per boat.  They also give you goggles.  I brought my own gloves which I highly recommend or else your hands will be cold.




Once we start off on the boat I see the need for the outfit.  That breeze and being on the water is cold!  We go pretty fast down the fjords and stop at different sightseeing spots to get pictures of the difference waterfalls.  We stop at the seven sisters and all seven sisters are out today.  Then we go to the end of the Geiranger Fjord and work our way back.  We stop at the Bachelor waterfalls (we previously called it the Suitor).  Our guide says that the bachelor gets to decide which of the seven sisters he will take for his wife.

















We wander back in, getting pictures of the Disney Magic as we work our way to the dock.  The ride was an hour long.  After changing, I head two doors down for that fabulous Hot Chocolate that I had two weeks ago.





The town is not too busy yet as we were the first ship in this morning.  But now there are a couple of more ships headed into Geiranger.  We are the only ones that get to use the floating dock, the rest have to tender in.





I head back and run into Adrian, Alvin, Andrew and Oliver and get a picture.  Alvin is like a little kid in the candy store.  He is getting ready to get on the bus to go to the top of the mountain in Geiranger to get his first experience ever to play in the snow.  I warned him not to eat yellow snow.  They are going to make snow angels. He and his brother are excited that a couple of guys from the Phillipines are going to see the snow for the first time.


Then I get on the ship to get my computer and I am now sitting on the dock and the sun is trying to make its way through the clouds.  I can barely feel the sun, am hoping it will break through for a lovely afternoon here in Geiranger.

Well.........back to the blog.

It is now the next morning.  The sun kept trying to break through the clouds, but no luck.  Lots of people right in town using free internet.  Got on the ship about 4:15, just about the time it started lightly raining again.

The show in the Walt Disney Theater tonight is Inside Out, but everyone is outside to watch us sailaway from Geiranger through the fjords and to see the Seven Sisters and the Bachelor.  Commodore Tom plays the Mickey horn and it echos beautifully through the gorge.



And then finally, the sun breaks through the clouds, if only for a short time.  It was wonderful!


Dinner tonight was in Animator's.  The surprise tonight was Shrimp Skewers.  They were delicious.  And of course, Dale had her usual for dessert, a Mickey bar and a bowl of fruit.  I had the regional favorite Traditional Bread and Butter Pudding.  It was awesome.





After dinner, did a couple of miscellaneous things, and then decided to call it a night.  Tomorrow is the Disney Magic's inaugural visit to Molde, Norway.

Goodnight!

1 comment: